Duties & Responsibilities
The Building Department, along with the Engineering, Planning, Zoning and Assessment Departments, coordinates community development. All applications pertaining to land use in the Village are submitted to the Building Department and forwarded to the appropriate Land Use Board or Committee, i.e. Board of Architectural Review, Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board or Committee on Historic Preservation, for consideration. The Building Department reviews plans for conformance with applicable provisions of the Village Code and the 2016 Uniform Code Supplement New York State Building Standards and Codes and 2015 ICC Codes. The Building Department issues various building permits for new construction, alterations, additions and renovations, as well as Certificates of Occupancy for these permits. The Building Department also issues plumbing, electrical, gas and oil heating system permits as mandated by the State of New York. The Building Department provides staff support to the Board of Architectural Review, Zoning Board of Appeals, and the Committee on Historic Preservation.
Effective June 1, 2016 all Electrical Permit fees will increase to $75, and Plumbing Permit fees will increase to $100 for first 4 fixtures and $15 for each fixture over 4.
Please be advised that applications to the Committee for Historical Preservation (for demolition) are now required to be submitted on the 15th day of the previous month.
- Amendment Form (PDF)
- Board of Architectural Review Application 2017
- Building Permit Application
- Certificate of Use and Occupancy Forms (PDF)
- Committee for Historic Preservation Demolition Application (PDF)
- Generator Permit (PDF)
- Instructions: Pre-date Letters and Certificates of Use and Occupancy (PDF)
- Lot Coverage Form (PDF)
- Oil Tank, Gas and Oil Burner Permit (PDF)
- Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)
- Requirements for Pre Date Letter (PDF)
- Requirements to legalize a finished basement (PDF)
- Residential Setback Form (PDF)
- Right-of-Way Refund Form (PDF)
- Stormwater Refund Form (PDF)
- When do the Boards meet?
- What do I need to do to obtain a pre-date letter or certificate of use and occupancy for an existing structure or building?
- How long does it take to get the plans reviewed by the Building Department after BAR approval?
- When do I need a building permit?
- Do I need a building permit for a fence?