In 1893, volunteers formed Fire Company No. 1, banding together to provide fire protection using horses from a neighboring barn and hitching them to a small wagon outfitted with fire extinguishers. The first fire station was built one year later and the first two paid firefighters were hired in 1913. The three current fire stations were constructed in 1923, 1925, and 1939, respectively.
Today, the Scarsdale Fire Department is led by Chief James E. Seymour and consists of a uniformed staff of six captains and 39 firefighters, along with a contingent of 70 volunteer firefighters and two civilian employees. The Department maintains a fleet of four fire engines, two ladder trucks, one command vehicle, and seven staff and support vehicles.