- Departments & Services
- Village Clerk
- Marriage License Requirements
The following is required to obtain a marriage license in the Village of Scarsdale:
- Must be a resident of the Village of Scarsdale.
- Proof of Age and Identity - A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting to the issuing clerk one of the following age related documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Record
- Naturalization Record
- Census Record
- And one of the following identity related documents:
- Driver's License
- Employment picture ID
- Immigration record
- If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued.
- If either applicant is 17 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents and a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the Town or City in which the application is made.
- If both applicants are 18 years of age or older, no consents are required.
- $40 in cash or check.
- Divorce papers if you were divorced.
- Be sure to have a copy of the death certificate handy if a previous spouse is deceased.
You must call the Clerk's office (914-722-1175) to make an appointment to obtain a marriage license. Be aware that a marriage license is not valid for 24 hours after it is issued and will expire 60 days thereafter. Remember that both parties must be present - they are signing an affidavit.
There are no blood test requirements in New York State.
The following is required to obtain a certified copy of your marriage license or a transcript of your marriage in the Village of Scarsdale:
- Verify that you received your marriage license at the Village of Scarsdale. Please not that being a resident of Scarsdale or having a wedding ceremony in Scarsdale does not ensure that a record of your marriage is on file at Village Hall.
- A completed Application for a Copy of Marriage Record
- Proof of Age and Identity
- Cash or a check payable to the Town/Village of Scarsdale. Please keep in mind that we do not accept credit cards and that each certified copy is $10.00.
- If you are mailing your request, please enclose a check and copy of your photo ID with the mailed application to the Town/Village Clerk's Office at Village Hall, 1001 Post Road, Scarsdale, NY 10583.
Searches of Marriage Records for genealogical purposes are performed by the Town Clerk's office. Marriage searches must be for marriages older than 50 years to be eligible for a genealogy search. Only uncertified copies are provided and are clearly marked with the statement "For Genealogical Purposes Only."
The fee varies depending on the requested number of years to be searched. Please refer to the fee schedule. The fee schedule, as well as the rules, is set forth by New York State These forms may be sent to the town or the NYS DOH at the address indicated on the form if you are not certain that the record exists in the Town.
If no record is on file, a No Record Report will be issued and the fee is not refunded.
The time periods are waived for direct-line descendants. A direct line descendant is a person in the direct line of descent, i.e., the child, grandchild, great grandchild of the person whose record is requested. The direct-line descendant applicant must provide the following:
- Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of both spouses whose marriage certificate they are requesting.
- 1 to 3 years: $22
- 4 to 10 years: $42
- 11 to 20 years: $62
- 21 to 30 years: $82
- 31 to 40 years: $102
- 41 to 50 years: $122
- 51 to 60 years: $142
- 61 to 70 years: $162
- 71 to 80 years: $182
- 81 to 90 years: $202
- 91 to 100 years: $222