The goal of the Scarsdale Recreation Department sponsored youth athletic program is to offer a rich year-round schedule of participatory athletic activities that encourage children to play a variety of sports, and to provide them with the opportunity to have fun while developing physically, emotionally and socially. The Recreation Department will strive to develop the skills of all participants, and to teach the rules of play in each specific sport.
- The Recreation Department will work together with all the Neighborhood Athletic Associations (NAAs) to provide a variety of youth athletic team programs so that the diverse needs, interests and abilities of all children are met while upholding a common set of values devoted to individual growth, teamwork, sportsmanship, civil and ethical conduct for the total community of children, coaches and parents. We are committed to supporting a responsible and safe environment in which all sports are part of a healthy, balanced, positive developmental experience, so that our children can increase their self-esteem and realize their full potential.
- The Recreation Department will work to develop the skills, knowledge and attitudes required to play each particular sport, as well as an appreciation of the rules of play in each specific sport.
Objectives of the Recreation Department to meet the Youth Athletic Team Goals
- The Recreation Department will work with the NAAs to support our coaches:
- to provide educational workshops directed at “how to” and “what to” coach
- to broaden ways of enlisting volunteer coaches and encourage feedback with informational evaluations
- to develop ways to increase parent involvement and support
- The Recreation Department will provide sportsmanship awareness and other methods for modeling civil and ethical conduct for the total community of children, coaches, parents and spectators which will demonstrate respect for rules, teammates, opponents, officials, and the traditions of the games. The Recreation Department will work with the Independent Sports Organizations (ISOs) to encourage scheduling when possible that will allow for greater participation, so children will have the opportunity to play and to learn a variety of sports throughout the year. The Recreation Department will work together with all the ISOs in town to facilitate the exchange of information so as to provide a variety of youth athletic team programs so that a range of opportunities in each sport will provide, in the aggregate, varying levels of competition and commitment.