Pool Complex Project
The Pool Complex Study is laying the planning groundwork for a construction project at the Scarsdale Pool Complex that is right-sized for our local needs and level of community support. Due to the recent trends in membership and expenses, the pool complex is now operating in a deficit position and the cost to repair the complex to bring it into compliance with current codes is significant, estimated to be in excess of $13M. Careful study, community engagement, and visioning are necessary to determine the future of the pool complex. The project goals and objectives highlighted below provide further insight into what we intend to achieve with the study.
On June 30, 2021, the Village distributed a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a Market Study and Existing Conditions Assessment of the complex, with several proposals having been received. After thorough review of the consultant responses by the Pool Complex Special Assignment Working Group, comprised of Trustees and key Village staff, Lothrop Associates LLP Architects' proposal was selected and a contract was approved at the Village Board meeting held on September 28, 2021.
1. The Municipal Pool Complex is viewed by residents as a premier community recreation asset helping to further strengthen Scarsdale’s preeminence in Westchester County as a superb place to live and raise children.
2. The Pool Enterprise Fund is fiscally sound, capable of supporting operating and projected capital expenses.
3. Pool membership trend is reversed, ultimately attaining historic membership levels.
Key Project Objectives
1. Develop a planning level estimate for baseline reconstruction of our Municipal Pool Complex in effectively its existing layout and design, taking into account any costs associated with updated regulatory compliance, e.g., ADA and Westchester County Department of Health. The purpose of this estimate is to understand existing needs and their magnitude of cost to remedy, as well as to support discussion of the incremental costs associated with each reconstruction scenario developed in the Market Study. The Existing Conditions Report has since been completed and the next section on this page provides a summary overview of the findings, as well as a link to the final report. Importantly, the level of investment necessary to bring the pool complex back into a good state of repair (and compliant with all current code requirements) is significant -- over $13M. As such, now is the time to consider whether any incremental investment is prudent to help secure the fiscal sustainability of the pool complex through increased memberships and other potential revenues, thereby enabling it to continue to be managed as a financially self-supporting enterprise fund.
2. Complete a Market Study, to examine the competitive landscape and identify associated strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for the Scarsdale Pool Complex. The Market Study has two primary segments, or phases. The first involves data collection and analysis of the competitive landscape, both locally and sub-regionally. The second involves substantial public outreach and engagement to collect Scarsdale resident viewpoints and perspectives, including willingness to pay for various amenities or services they view as desirable. Ultimately, the public engagement effort will culminate in creating of three financially feasible reconstruction scenarios. Consultant tasks to be completed in the public engagement phase include a statistically valid random survey distributed by mail, a public web-based survey, and public meetings. The timeline for important engagement touchstones will be published once available, with each opportunity well-advertised ahead of time to help promote robust community participation, which is important to the study's success.
Interview with Mayor Jane Veron
Existing Conditions Survey and Report
Market Assessment Report
- 2021.07.30 Lothrop Associates Proposal RFP Submission
- 2021.06.30 Pool Special Assignment RFP
- 2021.09.28 Award Resolution for Market Study and Existing Conditions Report
- 2022.02.23 SMPC Existing Conditions Survey
- 2022.04.22 Pool Complex Market Analysis Report
- 2022.04.25 Project Schedule
- 2022.04.26 Pool Study Presentation
- 2022 09 28 Pool Study Public Presentation - FINAL (PDF)
- 2022 09 29 Pool Study Online Survey Report - FINAL (PDF)
- 2022 09 29 Pool Study SV Survey Report - FINAL (PDF)